Part-time Gallery and Office Assistant
The part-time Gallery and Office Assistant at the Greater Reston Arts Center (GRACE) supports visitor relations, gallery operations, and administration. The ideal applicant will be available to work occasional special events at the gallery during evening hours by prior arrangement. A positive attitude and a willingness and enthusiasm to learn about contemporary art and GRACE programming are essential.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Opening and closing the gallery on days worked
- Answering visitor inquiries regarding exhibitions, educational programs, and the organization
- Communicating gallery guidelines and behavior
- Ensuring the safety of the work on view
- Detailing upcoming programs and events
- Keeping count of the number of visitors
- Answering phone inquiries and receiving and reporting messages
- Ordering office supplies
- Processing cash, check, and credit card transactions, and weekly banking and filing
- Warm, professional, outgoing attitude when dealing with the public
- Ability to multi-task and self-manage
- Strong attention to detail
- Reliability and punctuality are a must
- Familiar with contemporary art and art history preferred
Three days a week including occasional evenings and weekends.
To apply, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com placing “Gallery and Office Assistant” in the subject line.
GALLERY MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP
The Gallery Management Intern at the Greater Reston Arts Center (GRACE) supports visitor relations, gallery operations, and some administrative tasks. The Intern reports to the Education and Gallery Manager and engages with each visitor to the gallery. This includes, but is not limited to: answering visitor inquiries regarding exhibitions, educational programs, or the organization; communicating gallery guidelines and behavior, and ensuring the safety of the work on view; detailing upcoming programs and events; and keeping count of the number of visitors. The Intern is also responsible for administrative functions, including answering phone inquiries and receiving and reporting messages, tracking artist submissions, and assisting with other duties as appropriate. The position also entails minor cash, check and credit card transactions. The ideal applicant will also be available upon occasion to work some special events at the gallery during evening hours, by prior arrangement. A positive attitude and a willingness and enthusiasm to learn about contemporary art and GRACE programming is essential.
• Advanced undergraduates are encouraged to apply. Master’s degree candidates preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to engage patrons both in person and over the phone, and to communicate gallery guidelines and behavior
• Professional self-management and organizational aptitude
• Reliability and punctuality are a must
• Preferably familiar with art and art history
Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gallery Manager Internship” in the subject line.
The Greater Reston Arts Center is dedicated to mentoring the next generation of arts professionals. We seek interns who are organized, creative and motivated to gain insight and experience into how a contemporary arts center operates. Internships are generally unpaid, but offer the opportunity to build professional skills and relationships with experienced mentors.
Although most GRACE internships occur during the summer, GRACE staff will consider scheduling internships at other periods during the year.
SUMMER CAMP INTERNS
Each summer GRACE requires assistance with our summer camp program, particularly for those sessions serving younger students. High school and college interns are welcome to volunteer as camp assistants for one session or multiple sessions. 2018 information coming soon.
GRACE offers internships in for both undergraduate and graduate students. Possible focuses include Exhibitions/Gallery Management, Development, and Education. Internships for college credit are welcomed. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter outlining internship to Sarah Sadler