With the arrival of Metrorail, Reston’s population is projected to double. GRACE must likewise grow in order to fulfill our mission of delivering relevant, high-quality, visual art to this growing, dynamic region.
THE CHALLENGE IS CLEAR: GRACE MUST broaden its community support TO MEET INCREASED DEMAND AND NEED.
According to a 2013 series in The Economist, urban centers across the globe are turning to contemporary art to enliven their communities.
This is precisely what the new GRACE is doing for our community.
Destination GRACE: Vision
Reston’s Founder, Bob Simon, recognized that you cannot create a great community without great art and culture. Destination GRACE is helping fulfill that ambition.
In its simplest articulation, Destination GRACE will ensure that people are taking the Metro not only to go east but also to come west because the visual arts in Reston command their attention. But it is more than that. It is ensuring that once people get to this destination they will be transported to another—a place of wonderment, imagination, and inspiration.
Our goal: Engage thousands of new people through our Destination GRACE exhibitions, diverse educational programs, and the annual Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival.
Destination GRACE: Exhibitions
GRACE has always been committed to the highest quality local and regional exhibitions. Three years ago we began augmenting that outstanding content with investments in internationally renowned and exhibited artists. These investments, while expensive, are paying dividends by further elevating the dynamics of visual arts in the region, reflected in part with the critical acclaim we have received in the Washington Post and other publications.
Our goal: To invest in one or more internationally renowned artists every year.
Destination GRACE: Education
GRACE’s educational programs, both within the gallery walls and beyond, are taking our children to new destinations every day. GRACE Art delivers cultural literacy and art appreciation curricula to nearly 20,000 students in 40 area schools. At a time when school arts budgets are under siege, we must do more. Your investment will engage future generations in direct art experiences that impact cognitive and creative development.
Our goal: To transport EVERY child in the region to an inspired place through interaction with GRACE educational programs.
(Click each bubble below to read more about our education objectives)
ADD NEW GRACE ART SCHOOLS
Harness the marketing and sales resources to grow from our nearly 40 current schools to 60 schools in the near term.
UPDATE AND AUGMENT GRACE
Finish the expensive but exciting updating of our 80 existing portfolios (we completed 30 through 2016 to rave reviews), in addition to developing new content (our new Dougherty portfolio is the most demanded).
Add marketing resources to allow expansion of this popular drop-in program for children, which provides directed-looking activities focused on current exhibitions as well as hands-on art projects for families to create together.
Grow our Physical Space
With additional capital we could grow our footprint and expand revenue-generating adult classes, workshops, summer camps on site, and a wide variety of enrichment programs
for all ages.
Expand Summer Art Camps
Additional resources for space rental, staff, and supplies would allow growth of these popular and impactful camps, which are also important revenue generators. New STEAM and photography camps offered in 2015 (supplementing traditional art-making and art history offerings) were two of our
most popular camps.
GRACE must explore delivery of content in digital media, and find other technologies to enhance our programming and interpretation, if we are to remain successful at engaging children in
the digital age.
Destination GRACE: Festival
Now in its third decade, the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival connects the community with over 200 highly skilled artists from across the country in the streets of Reston Town Center. This competitive, juried event provides a vibrant cultural destination for 30,000+ visitors. The Festival also delivers critical operating income for GRACE. To ensure the Festival’s long-term future, we must increase our marketing efforts. More visitors will equate to more sales, making the Festival more attractive to the very best artists—and our community more attractive as a cultural center.
Our goal: Make the Festival not just a regional but an East Coast destination event.
All money raised through the Biennial Campaign will be contributed to operating income.
GRACE has capital for special projects thanks to its successful 40 Forward campaign and an unprecedented $100,000 legacy gift from Mary Howard in 2015. But if GRACE is to enhance its exhibition offerings, educational programming, and Festival experience in the ways described in this prospectus, operating income must grow.
Destination GRACE provides the vision. The Biennial Campaign provides the vehicle: an accessible way (once every two years) for the community to support that robust vision in an equally robust manner.
Our Goal: Raise $100,000+, contributing at least $50,000 in each of the next two fiscal years to operations (just under 10% growth).
For the Campaign’s entire two-year duration (through August 2018), all donors receive:
• Placement on the GRACE Donor Glass (outwardly facing from the Gallery), in our Festival program, on our website, and in other materials where appropriate;
• GRACE’s Membership Card (with its 20% discount at Town Center restaurants) for the donor and significant other;
• Access to special member-only events;
• Ability to spread payments over the two years; and
• Special category-specific benefits (click on each category below).
$10,000 total, or $5,000/year
• An individually structured benefit created with the Board Chair and Executive Director.
• Membership in the Board Chair’s Club, including invitation to the annual Board Chair Dinner with other major corporate and community partners at which the Board Chair and Executive Director will report on the state of GRACE and how your investments are being used to grow the organization.
• 2 complimentary uses of the GRACE Gallery (up to four hours outside business hours) for a private party ($1,600 value).
• Each year 6 complimentary tickets to the Festival Launch Party ($1,200 value) and 6 gift GRACE memberships
for friends and family ($600 value).
$5,000 total, or $2,500/year
• Membership in the Board Chair’s Club, including invitation to annual Board Chair Dinner with other major corporate and community partners at which the Board Chair and Executive Director will report on the state of GRACE and how your investments are being used to grow the organization.
• 1 complimentary use of the GRACE Gallery (up to four hours outside business hours) for a private party ($800 value).
• Each year 4 complimentary tickets to the Festival Launch Party ($800 value) and 4 gift GRACE memberships
for friends and family ($400 value).
$2,500 total, or $1,250/year
• Each year 2 complimentary tickets to the Festival Launch Party ($400 value) and 2 gift GRACE memberships for friends and family ($200 value).
$1,000 total, or $500/year
• Each year 1 complimentary ticket to the Festival Launch Party ($200 value) and 1 gift GRACE membership for friends and family ($100 value).